Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
HD Anime - A-200 rebooting, H.264 ReFrames/Reference Frames
01-12-2012, 08:09 AM
HD Anime - A-200 rebooting, H.264 ReFrames/Reference Frames
Hi all,

I have tried to play several 720p/1080p MKV releases, and each release had similar problem: A-200 "reboots" after playing a while. I say "reboots" because I could swear sometimes it did a "quick" reboot with screen black only for a while and return to external USB disk main folder (the only disk connected), but later tries did a longer "reboot" with one of the later loading screens (I think the green one, not the black screen with white PCH logo?). Symptoms:
- Press play
- Choose subtitles
- After a few seconds, reboot

The releases in question are anime.

Anyone who has had the pleasure of trying it can probably agree with me that most anime "fansubbers" or whoever they are seem to be an obnoxious lot. Complete disregard of others, using out of specification or otherwise odd H.264 options.

When looking at the files with Mediainfo, the first thing that I noticed was very high number of reference frames (reframes as Mediainfo calls them?): 720p, High@L5.0, 16 reference frames was the worst, but the profile label and reference frame count varied. I am pretty sure ASS/SSA subtitles were used also. The releases were from different groups. I do not have Mediainfos available at the moment but will definitely save them when near the PCH again. Audio was FLAC.

I have very limited knowledge about all this, which is why I got PCH in the first place - it "just plays" pretty much all I throw at it and I can have a remote. I have been forced to read about all this since a few days due to the recent need to play some HD anime titles with PCH. So reframes count in Mediainfo is what caught my eye in the first place and I googled it; in this forum some people say high amount of reframes is not supported - but on the other hand someone said that (paraphrasing) "Syabas would not limit it." In any case this should not crash/restart the unit?

The firmware is old: never updated and unit purchased in 2010.

TL;DR:
1- "Go update your firmware first, then report back"? Can it really help? Means more reading, how to do this without Internet connection on PCH..
2- High amount of reference frames @L5.0 or others is a problem or not, and if yes where is the actual limit? - I know the specifications but in practice? Imposed by what, software/hardware processing/decoding power vs. hardware design?
3- Ordered chapters supported or no? - I do not think this matters I do not care playing opening/ending every time, the video should be watchable without support, right?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2012, 08:23 AM
RE: HD Anime - A-200 rebooting, H.264 ReFrames/Reference Frames
That anime should play if they are new releases they are most likely 10bit anime or hi10p they usually do not play.

1. update can help. download firmware to a usb stick and update.
2. There is no hard limit. Anime can get by with high reframes because the image background and things are mostly static so not to much strain but it varies from anime to anime.
3. order chapters are not supported but you are still good to watch.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to halfelite for this post
01-12-2012, 08:53 AM
Thank you halfelite;

I think they were not 10-bit, the whole "anime scene" seems very annoying when they do not even tag the files proper. I learnt about the 10-bit depth per color channel in the middle of downloading so I am not sure anymore and the material & player are on a different site (waiting for this to get fixed"#$@). Will check and report back if updating does not help.

Seems updating is the only recommendation so I will do that. If it still does not help? Get Mediainfo outputs and it will end up in an re-encode I am sure..
01-12-2012, 02:18 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2012 02:21 PM by bluikster.)
(01-12-2012 08:23 AM)halfelite Wrote:  1. update can help. download firmware to a usb stick and update.

Indeed, update resolved everything - I finished downloading rest of the required anime clips, checked, and they worked also.

Case closed & thanks for your help/encouragement to update. I was apprehensive of doing update at a critical time without a spare unit around. I guess Syabas has done really good work over the years with the firmware. Now, if there would be a magic box for Hi10P encodes in the future from Syabas - I will not be purchasing anything else!! - then I would not need to re-encode (or is it transcoding?)... I am sure next year when I need to do this again most of the HD anime might be Hi10P from what I have read. (this was for a more-or-less annual thing not just my personal viewing)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  black screen reading GTO anime st3rk 2 1,341 01-17-2011 08:25 AM
Last Post: st3rk