Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
DLNA on OSX?
01-20-2012, 08:36 PM
RE: DLNA on OSX?
Lion may turn out to be Apple's Vista; just sayin'

21.5" iMac/2.5 Ghz i5/12 GB RAM/Mac OS 10.6.8/TOMY 1.4.1/Sick-Beard & SABnzbd+/18 TB HDD/PH A-300 & A-110
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
01-21-2012, 02:55 AM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2012 03:00 AM by Dewdman42.)
Thanks for chiming in Auggie. I wish I had stayed on SL but its ok I will press forward now.

I am playing around with NFS a bit more today, in addition to trying to host an NFS share on the mac, I want to make the NMT host an NFS share instead of SMB share as I was doing before.

I have been using a nice little NFS configuration GUI called "NFS Manager" which is supposed to take a lot of the pain away from setting up shared NFS volumes. That being said, the gui has an awful lot of checkboxes and things which I don't pretend to understand. So maybe I missed something that was critical? If anyone knows exactly which NFS options need to be included while setting up a shared NFS volume on the mac, such that it will work with NMT, please let me know. I was able to publish an NFS volume that the NMT could see and browse, but trying to open an AVI just spun the cursor for a minute then nothing.

Trying to use NFS the other direction and also having problems. I started up the NFS server app on the NMT. Then I went into Apple's disk utility where there is an "NFS Mounts" menu item that let's me specify some NFS mounts. I specified nfs://popcornhour/share as the point point and there is a verify button, which I clicked and it reported the NFS server was good. But then when I try to navigate to that mount point in command line I get:

-bash: cd: nmt: Operation not permitted

So... I'm at a loss at this point how to use NFS in either direction. Maybe there are certain NFS options that need to be specified while setting up the mount point? I don't know.

(01-20-2012 08:36 PM)mhale62 Wrote:  Lion may turn out to be Apple's Vista; just sayin'

Honestly, I'm not impressed at all so far. They screwed up my favorite feature, Spaces. I have noticed sluggish windows and weird little stuff like my screen saver didn't activate as it was supposed to sometimes.

My chat client broke. Having these network issues, myihome doesn't work, presumably some kind if java problem.

Part of me is wondering how much of this is related to doing a Lion "upgrade" from SL, versus installing fresh Lion. But I had my system fine tuned and setup to my liking so I didn't really want to start over and reinstall all my apps, do I bought Lion from the App store and did the upgrade. Really don't know, but I will just say, not impressed. Even Apple Mail took a few steps back, I have to switch to a different email client.
01-21-2012, 03:10 AM
Is there a reason you don't just nuke 'n' pave and roll back to SL?

21.5" iMac/2.5 Ghz i5/12 GB RAM/Mac OS 10.6.8/TOMY 1.4.1/Sick-Beard & SABnzbd+/18 TB HDD/PH A-300 & A-110
01-21-2012, 03:12 AM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2012 03:14 AM by Dewdman42.)
its been a while since I upgraded to Lion, rolling back to my last backup of SL would lose a lot and installing fresh, no thanks, i spent a lot of time getting my system setup.
plus, reading online, seems a lot of people lost NFS functionality, even specifically with NMT, actually when Snow Leopard came out in 2009.
01-21-2012, 03:18 AM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2012 03:18 AM by mhale62.)
Ah, so.
01-21-2012, 06:40 AM
Well I changed my mind and rolled back to SL. Still getting caught up on my system setup, but now I have SMB back and I got everything working fine in terms of playing videos that are on my mac.

No need for DLNA or myihome or any of that.

One note, I did have to change the NMT's network setting to 10/100 instead of auto to get it to work.

Lion sucks.
01-24-2012, 11:15 PM
(01-21-2012 06:40 AM)Dewdman42 Wrote:  Well I changed my mind and rolled back to SL. Still getting caught up on my system setup, but now I have SMB back and I got everything working fine in terms of playing videos that are on my mac.

No need for DLNA or myihome or any of that.

One note, I did have to change the NMT's network setting to 10/100 instead of auto to get it to work.

Lion sucks.

There are 2 ways to do NFS. It is not difficult and it does work (if setup correctly).

#1 (Hard Way)
--

Download NFS Manager (Shareware) from http://www.bresink.com/osx/143439/download.php5

This is a GUI for setting up NFS. Very well done actually and has a ton of options. It may seem very very complicated until you understand NFS more.

#2 (Easy Way)
--

Launch Applications>Utilities>Terminal

Type in the following.

sudo pico /etc/exports

(Type your password when asked)

Add this line(s) to the file.

/Volumes/My_Mac_Volume -maproot=0 -network Your Network -mask Subnet mask

Note with NFS you *cannot* use spaces in volume filenames. Like Macintosh HD should be renamed Macintosh_HD.

Your network is the first 3 segments of the IP address. if it is 192.168.1.100 use 192.168.1.0 for your network (In other words using 0 means you are telling nfs to be available to all devices on your local network.)

Subnet mask copy that from system preferences. Usually it is 255.255.255.0.

If you don't know what your IP address or subnet mask is go to System Preferences>Network and look at the IP address and subnet mask.

Repeat the line for each volume you wish to be available via NFS.

Press Control-O - then when prompted to save press return, then press Control-X to exit.

The mac should automatically see the updated exports file and automatically launch NFSd. You can verify this by typing in.

showmount -e

which should generate something like the following.

Exports list on localhost:
/Volumes/My_Mac_Volume Your Network

If that gives you an error you can try this.

If you update this file at any time later you need to update NFSd with the following command.

sudo nfsd update

Now your Mac is exporting the volume out. Configure the PCH and you're done.

FyI: MyiHome launches under Lion (With NFS I don't use it anymore, but it does launch without a problem) or Llink (by Lundman) available on the App Store also Lion compatible). DLNA is kinda annoying with all the specific devices requiring specific extensions to the spec to work. It is easier to use NFS ort one of the streamers above.

• C-300 60GB SSD > 65" Mitsu DLP
  • C-200 32GB USB Flash > 47" LG Goggle TV
  • A-110 320 GB HD > 32" Toshi
  • 2 PowerMac G5 NFS Servers
  • MacPro NFS Server
  • 50 TB eSata Raid 10 / 10.5 TB FW800 Raid 1

MountIt NMT App for NFS mounting.
01-25-2012, 03:00 PM
(01-24-2012 11:15 PM)Mystik Wrote:  Add this line(s) to the file.

/Volumes/My_Mac_Volume -maproot=0 -network Your Network -mask Subnet mask

Note with NFS you *cannot* use spaces in volume filenames. Like Macintosh HD should be renamed Macintosh_HD.

Actually, you can; by enclosing the path in quotes:

"/Volumes/My Mac Volume" -maproot=0 -network Your Network -mask Subnet mask

But be advised that an NMT won't be able to access it via browsing through it's NETWORK BROWSER yet it can access it just fine if you create and access it as a defined NETWORK SHARE.

TOMY: The Only Mac YAMJ GUI, now for Windows too! Both available here.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Auggie for this post
01-25-2012, 10:36 PM
Cool to see people on OSX Smile

I agree with all of you: Samba on Lion sucks (IMHO Lion still kicks ass, but I do not use it at home, because of c-300).

At home I use llink (myIhome does not work on my SL) and it works great. It streams my video files to nmt just perfect.
Btw llink can be found via App Store.
01-25-2012, 10:47 PM
(01-25-2012 03:00 PM)Auggie Wrote:  Actually, you can; by enclosing the path in quotes:

"/Volumes/My Mac Volume" -maproot=0 -network Your Network -mask Subnet mask

But be advised that an NMT won't be able to access it via browsing through it's NETWORK BROWSER yet it can access it just fine if you create and access it as a defined NETWORK SHARE.

I know Linux in the past did not like spaces in NFS paths. I did not think that changed. If it is possible I will have to update MountIt to actually handle spaced names.

I will check it out Smile Thanks.

• MacPro NFS Server

01-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Yea, I actually already added a little Mac NFS Server Manager utility into TOMY TWO point OH; just having difficulty issuing out a NFSD restart command as it requires authentication and the compiler doesn't provide any seamless method for an authentication-required terminal command so until I figure out a programmatic way to do that, then I may not actually enable that utility in the initial release.

[Image: v20aNFSServerManager.png]

[Image: v20aNFSServerEditor.png]

[+] 1 user says Thank You to Auggie for this post
01-25-2012, 11:52 PM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2012 12:02 AM by Mystik.)
(01-25-2012 11:33 PM)Auggie Wrote:  Yea, I actually already added a little Mac NFS Server Manager utility into TOMY TWO point OH; just having difficulty issuing out a NFSD restart command as it requires authentication and the compiler doesn't provide any seamless method for an authentication-required terminal command so until I figure out a programmatic way to do that, then I may not actually enable that utility in the initial release.

OS X Apps need to be authenticated at launch. Your (note this information is old, it may have been changed, check the latest apple nfo) App needs to get root level permissions then relaunch itself or a new series of code with those permissions enabled in order to be able to access root level functions.

Try to look around this page it might help.

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#...3-CHDJHDDB

• MacPro NFS Server

01-26-2012, 02:00 AM
Privilege escalation in code is:

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#...Intro.html

Or you can spawn a program to authenticate using "security"

# security -q authorize -uew my-right

and it pops up the password dialog.

There is no reason to run your whole program as root, or setuid. That just sets you up for people like me hacking the machine using your app.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user says Thank You to lundman for this post
01-26-2012, 03:10 PM
(01-25-2012 11:52 PM)Mystik Wrote:  OS X Apps need to be authenticated at launch. Your (note this information is old, it may have been changed, check the latest apple nfo) App needs to get root level permissions then relaunch itself or a new series of code with those permissions enabled in order to be able to access root level functions.

As lundman said, I do not want to run TOMY always as root for the reason he mentioned. I want the user to manually authenticate on a as-needed basis. I may have a method to do so but inclusion of the NFS utility is a minor feature that is not really a "must have" function and is beyond the scope of what TOMY is truly intended for; although it would come in very handy for many a Mac Lion user, it's just "feature creep" that I can skip development effort for the moment, especially in light of the huge amount of development still required for new core features that have been added for TWO point OH.

01-27-2012, 03:05 AM
This is all very interesting. now that i'm back on SL and SMB seems to be working fine is there any compelling reason some of you can think of for what I should want to use NFS instead of SMB for networking between OSX and NMT?
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Dewdman42 for this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A200 and LG LW5590 DLNA problem twicefooled 3 2,727 01-12-2012 08:51 AM
Last Post: twicefooled
Question Using DLNA for getting live DVB channels: issue with TCP port jp1 4 4,684 06-22-2011 12:52 PM
Last Post: accident
  UPnP to DLNA SAMSUNG C650 MKV Problem orbital 4 5,113 03-12-2011 11:39 AM
Last Post: orbital
  New WHS:Code Name "Vail" DLNA Compliant wingfat 5 5,217 04-28-2010 06:33 PM
Last Post: accident
  DLNA Synology mbkoks 5 7,016 01-13-2010 06:37 PM
Last Post: mbkoks
  DLNA capability of the C200 TexasGrillChef 10 5,221 10-06-2009 12:12 PM
Last Post: Specter
  UPnP, DLNA and SMB? Adam1v 2 5,079 07-01-2009 04:53 PM
Last Post: Adam1v
  Is this a NMT problem or a NAS problem? DLNA server and NFS sharing problems. digitalboy858 0 2,152 08-16-2008 09:02 PM
Last Post: digitalboy858