Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[Feature] Software for making playlists on PC, that can be "read" by PCH C-200
03-08-2012, 09:58 AM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2012 12:27 PM by Repelstale.)
Software for making playlists on PC, that can be "read" by PCH C-200
Hi everybody,

Spring is coming up Smile, so I'll be using my PCH a lot more for playing music outdoors.

What I'm still looking for is a way to generate playlists quickly, using the PC.
-I don't want to have to turn the TV on to play music (especially of course, when I play it on my outdoor speakers), so the playlist generating with the Jukebox is not a real option.
-In file mode playlist generation is possible, but a real hassle, since you have to select every track individually, instead of being able to select entire albums (a wish of mine I have discussed before)
- NMT Remote by Teo Emmanuel has a neat playlist generating option, but here you also have to select each track individually. Besides, the playlist is only stored within the NMT Remote app, so you can only open it with the app.

So what I would really appreciate is some PC software to generate playlists that can be opened by the PCH. The playlists generated by Windows Media Player for example can't be opened by the PCH (maybe because all my music files are stored on my NAS (DiskStation)). Or is there a way to tinker with WMP (or VLC) so that it makes playlists that PCH can use?

P.S. I read some stuff about Media Monkey, but I'm not really interested in a whole new library system for my music.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2012, 10:19 AM
RE: Software for making playlists on PC, that can be "read" by PCH C-200
IIRC someone has mpd working on the 200s and 300s now. that might meet your needs perfectly
03-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Sorry, could you elaborate on that please? I'm not familiair with IIRC or MPD. Huh
03-08-2012, 11:35 AM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2012 11:37 AM by FullHD.)
Wink RE: Software for making playlists on PC, that can be "read" by PCH C-200
IIRC means "If I Recall Correctly" (or "als ik het goed heb" in Dutch). I'll leave MPD up to someone else... Wink
03-08-2012, 11:53 AM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2012 06:25 PM by Repelstale.)
(03-08-2012 11:35 AM)FullHD Wrote:  IIRC means "If I Recall Correctly" (or "als ik het goed heb" in Dutch). I'll leave MPD up to someone else... Wink

Ah... all these abbreviations... Big Grin
MPD probably means Music Player Daemon, but how does it work on PCH?

I've read about it in a few other threads, and I have to say, it's a bit beyond my simple intellect.

So I'd really appreciate it if somebody could tell me exactly what MPD does, how it works (and what it looks like) on PCH, and how I can use it to generate playlists.
03-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Hello,

mpd is a very simple music player daemon.
This daemon part is important as it is not a visual application, it only runs in the background and it streams music to whatever is defined in the output (in most cases on PCH; it will output to the television, but I assume that if you connect speakers directly to the PCH, you can output to those - haven't tried this myself).
mpd will scan your media directory and create a database file out of it (which is actually a flat text file).
mpd then acts as a real daemon... it expects input from a client.
So, in order to do anything with mpd you also need a client.
mpod/mpad for ipod/ipad.
gnome music player client for Windows.
and a gazillion others for all sorts of operating systems.

The clients are used to browse through the library, start, pauze and stop the music and also to maintain the playlists (which are maintained on the server - so if I create a playlist with mpad, I can see it in my gnome player also).

I haven't used these playlists extensively, but I assume the creation depends highly on the client used.
The playlist are in the 'm3u' format, but are relative to the media directory (meaning you will probably have to convert them when you create them anywhere else but the mpd clients)

I find mpd quite handy, albeit maybe not that easy to install on the PCH.
One disadvantage (but can be an advantage as well) is that there is absolutely no visualization.
I like the fact that when music is playing (through normal nmj), the song information, together with the album cover is shown.
With mpd, you get to see nothing (or rather; you see whatever the PCH is displaying at that moment).

Again; all in all a very handy tool (especially for remote controlling) and I use it quite a lot.

I hope this helps a bit.

H.
03-09-2012, 12:38 AM
I was able to do a bunch of search/replace and other manipulations and save it in a macro in Notepadd++ to convert winamp playlists into PCH playable ones. Since I use Winamp for my PC, I just export a playlist from there, open it in Notepad++ and run the macro and save the new file.
03-09-2012, 11:10 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2012 11:17 AM by Repelstale.)
(03-09-2012 12:38 AM)primetimeguy Wrote:  I was able to do a bunch of search/replace and other manipulations and save it in a macro in Notepadd++ to convert winamp playlists into PCH playable ones. Since I use Winamp for my PC, I just export a playlist from there, open it in Notepad++ and run the macro and save the new file.

Could you show me how to do that exactly? It's a bit of a workaround though...
(03-08-2012 09:54 PM)Hendershot Wrote:  Hello,

mpd is a very simple music player daemon.
This daemon part is important as it is not a visual application, it only runs in the background and it streams music to whatever is defined in the output (in most cases on PCH; it will output to the television, but I assume that if you connect speakers directly to the PCH, you can output to those - haven't tried this myself).
mpd will scan your media directory and create a database file out of it (which is actually a flat text file).
mpd then acts as a real daemon... it expects input from a client.
So, in order to do anything with mpd you also need a client.
mpod/mpad for ipod/ipad.

Thanks for a clearing things up a little, Hendershot. I downloaded MPoD for my iPhone just to have a look at its interface, and I have to say I like it. Looks a lot like the Squeezebox remote, which I really appreciate.

Before I put any more time and effort in this: I'm really in it for the playlist functionalities. NMT Remote bij Teo Emmanuel offers a pretty solid remote as it is, and is very easy to install, but lacks solid "on the fly", flexible playlist generation and manipulation. Does MPoD offer this?

If so, time for the big question: how to install MPD on the PCH and get it working properly. It's not like a straightforward app that can be downloaded with CSI, so I'm a bit cautious.
03-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Just follow the MPD thread instructions. I think from memory you do use the CSI to install it. You load the CSI and then use the File option to load the MPD zip file into the player.

then read the CONF and README files that will be in the Apps > MPD folder after you have installed it.

A400: SD Card(Apps), HDMI C200: USB(Apps), BD ROM (SH-B083L(SB01)), HDMI
CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
03-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Does MPD have internet radio options? I'm not really satisfied with Shoutcast radio, especially on the NMT remote app. Or is there another way to get a good overview and control over all the internet radio stations with PCH (again, especially with the NMT Remote app)

... Perhaps I just want the PCH to be a little bit too much like a Squeezebox, which is more specifically designed for audio... But I'm setting my hopes high
01-07-2013, 10:05 AM
(03-10-2012 07:57 PM)Repelstale Wrote:  Does MPD have internet radio options? I'm not really satisfied with Shoutcast radio, especially on the NMT remote app. Or is there another way to get a good overview and control over all the internet radio stations with PCH (again, especially with the NMT Remote app)

I have a playlist with the folowing lines in it.

Code:
http://ics2ess.omroep.nl:80/3fm-bb.mp3?q=/npo/mp3/3fm-bb.pls&stream=ok
http://ics2hss.omroep.nl:80/radio1-bb.mp3?q=/npo/mp3/radio1-bb.pls&stream=ok

Last time I tried them, they worked fine.
On Mpad, select the play list and then the radio station.

I think (it's been a while) I made the playlist using mediamonkey and then copying it to the correct MPD directory on my PCH.

Since MPD I listen more CD's then when they where in the closet. Spend some hours to digitize them all. But it was worth it. Thanks to my wife, she digitized most of them.

Media Player: Popcorn Hour C-200, Lite-On iHOS104, WD Scorpio Blue 750GB

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Bug] myihome Software h3llsrules 0 528 04-09-2013 02:34 PM
Last Post: h3llsrules
Question [Bug] A-210 doesn't read videos anymore fairyjo 8 1,974 03-11-2012 02:32 PM
Last Post: fairyjo
  [Feature] Fix PCH to read 3TB External USB HDD in full! Polo151821 120 41,104 10-22-2011 09:48 PM
Last Post: fast83
  [Bug] 'Info' screen header doesn't work properly on playlists plm 0 784 08-11-2011 04:55 AM
Last Post: plm
  [Bug] After USB Slave connect, 'File Mode' menu is read only streamerj 3 1,466 05-29-2011 09:25 PM
Last Post: streamerj
  [Bug] [BUG] NMJ - Music - Playlists empty Smash 5 1,828 05-04-2011 05:10 PM
Last Post: chris57
  [Feature] A-210: "Making of" instead of movie Habbinal 1 1,157 04-30-2011 02:56 AM
Last Post: ff2
Car [Feature] Poll:[Request] Setup option for making bookmark Sledgehamma 0 1,301 04-24-2011 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sledgehamma
  [Bug] HFS+ Volumes problems with read (and write) jimi00 0 937 04-23-2011 03:33 PM
Last Post: jimi00
  [Bug] [BUG] c-200 embeded player parser and m3u playlists issues uncle_g 3 1,807 12-23-2010 07:37 AM
Last Post: VYP