Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[YAMJ] Media pathing
03-17-2012, 02:38 AM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2012 02:48 AM by accident.)
RE: Media pathing
Eversion has a few options.. 1 is to use what some are calling the direct paths.. these are the smb:// or nfs:// paths, the yamj app in app market can help you find out the root of these. The other is setup paths normally in the settings->network shares and use file:// paths and let it convert the paths to smb:// or nfs:// for you.. on the 200s or asiabox, you need to turn this option on, IIRC it's the playercheckmounts option in the settings. on non-gaya hardware like 300s and popboxes, it's on by default.

the yamj gui is damn old, only trust it to a point to get the path right.

can't comment on winbolic or links.. personally I wouldn't make that much storage in single drives. or a single machine. your talknig about what happens when a drive dies and everything.. maybe somethign like http://www.drivebender.com/ would work out best for your desktop with lots of drives..
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-17-2012, 02:42 AM
No, the links themselves would be corrupted/destroyed by the drive they were created on going west but the media at the end of them will be safe. Worst case you'll just have to re-create the links after replacing the drive that was hosting them.

In the event of a major disaster scenario (lightning strike, catastrophic power supply failure, etc.) which could take out all the drives in one go I'd hope you have a plan B for all this media anyway. Cool

Thoughts on Syabas support? Share them here
03-17-2012, 02:48 AM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2012 02:49 AM by Tsunamijhoe.)
(03-17-2012 02:42 AM)plm Wrote:  No, the links themselves would be corrupted/destroyed by the drive they were created on going west but the media at the end of them will be safe. Worst case you'll just have to re-create the links after replacing the drive that was hosting them.

In the event of a major disaster scenario (lightning strike, catastrophic power supply failure, etc.) which could take out all the drives in one go I'd hope you have a plan B for all this media anyway. Cool

OK,and you are absolutly 100% sure about no data get deleted if the junction drive fails? Because i have no backup,and would have to rip my entire 3000+ movies again,which i am not prepaired to do in this life again :-D

Drive bender looks interesting, but doesnt it just do the same as the symlinks?
03-17-2012, 02:54 AM
I can't guarantee anything 100% but this is exactly how symlinks/call them what you will were designed to be used, and have been a UNIX staple for decades. Windows has supported them for a long, long time too, so they should be perfectly reliable, but then I don't use them on Windows (no need) and my servers are all UNIX-based anyway.

I think there's significantly higher chance of you losing data via other means than a symlink failing though, in all honesty. I've had to replace server-fulls of disks on more than one occasion when a PSU (even in top-flight HP data-centre grade servers) has taken out all the drives.

Thoughts on Syabas support? Share them here
03-17-2012, 02:56 AM
(03-17-2012 02:48 AM)Tsunamijhoe Wrote:  OK,and you are absolutly 100% sure about no data get deleted if the junction drive fails? Because i have no backup,and would have to rip my entire 3000+ movies again,which i am not prepaired to do in this life again :-D

Drive bender looks interesting, but doesnt it just do the same as the symlinks?

not exactly, it offers some more features.. it's basically the options of the original WHS drive pooling in a third party application with more options.. again depending on your total goal, you'll know what meets your needs better than mine..
03-17-2012, 02:58 AM
(03-17-2012 02:54 AM)plm Wrote:  I can't guarantee anything 100% but this is exactly how symlinks/call them what you will were designed to be used, and have been a UNIX staple for decades. Windows has supported them for a long, long time too, so they should be perfectly reliable, but then I don't use them on Windows (no need) and my servers are all UNIX-based anyway.

I think there's significantly higher chance of you losing data via other means than a symlink failing though, in all honesty. I've had to replace server-fulls of disks on more than one occasion when a PSU (even in top-flight HP data-centre grade servers) has taken out all the drives.

OK, thank you very much.. I have already created all the symlinks and pooled everything to 1 folder,yamj library is running now and should be done tomorrow.

If this really do work then it is a damn fine way to do it,simple,safe and stable. One question though,i can still add new movies to the pool,by moving them into the original drive locations,and then re-run yamj to add the new movies,right?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Ember Media Manager - Episode NFOs tyrindor 2 400 03-03-2014 04:48 PM
Last Post: tyrindor
  [YAMJ] Multiple hard drive sources for media - single index file midknight_lightning 4 698 03-01-2014 01:28 PM
Last Post: midknight_lightning
  Media Center Master instead of Yanfoe chrissyboy 1 385 12-30-2013 12:49 PM
Last Post: blackcows
  [YAMJ] Crash OutofMemoryError Java cause of NO media info ?? Ander 3 485 12-24-2013 02:08 PM
Last Post: Ander
  [YAMJ] Unable to Play Media on Second NAS Through YAMJ/Eversion Dekka 6 994 10-25-2013 08:43 AM
Last Post: Omertron
  [TOOL] Ember Media Manager (EMM) Biggrich76 38 11,636 08-22-2013 11:40 AM
Last Post: blackcows
  [YAMJ] Another pathing question Tsunamijhoe 10 1,054 06-01-2013 06:06 PM
Last Post: Tsunamijhoe
  deleted TV media, now how to update? doubledrat 6 911 01-31-2013 03:36 PM
Last Post: doubledrat
  UFC... Moviedb... Ember Media.... mrjaffa 1 1,018 09-05-2012 07:40 PM
Last Post: Rezurfer
  [TOOL] Ember Media Manager with Native YAMJ Support robwired 10 3,871 07-07-2012 08:34 AM
Last Post: accident