Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
NMT - Do we still need them
06-01-2012, 09:34 AM
NMT - Do we still need them
Hi All,
Perhaps a contraversial topic but whats the future of NMT's. I have a PCH based A110 (I think) NMT called ioBox that was made by a company called Dragontech that went belly up. I no longer get updates but hey the NMT still works. Since I last got the NMT I have consequently updated my TV (Samsung 7000 series) which also has the capability to play most formats. Lately my mate who has a simillar tv and PCH got himself a WIFI router (Netgear n9000). With this capability he can now rip files from his computer transfer them to his external HDD which are linked to his router and stream content to his TV (including 3D). Needless to say the PCH is now redundant. For about 130 euros I too could get a simillar router and be done with the whole NMT concept. Question - apart from the media library what other pro's are there to getting Popcorns latest offering.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2012, 09:54 AM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2012 09:58 AM by accident.)
RE: NMT - Do we still need them
I think even the cheap routers support minimal nas features with usb drives.. Just avoid the ones where you need a special driver to access your drives and you should be ok but going with 1 you know will work is generally a good idea and usually saves you headaches and money in the long run.

I think any player no matter if it's built in, your gaming console, standalone or an htpc really comes down to personal preference. Everyone has their must have features and formats it needs to support. I've switched a lot over the last 10 years and still continue to search out something better. Once you know your minimum needs, you can then start to identify options. Maybe your tv is everything you want. Maybe it doesn't play the video formats you need.

Since you asked I think the biggest upsells on the pch vs a tv are more codecs, more containers (iso for example), dvd and bluray menus, some models can be a full bluray player if you add a drive. Then you have the interface, you have the basic one, a hybrid between basic file listing and jukebox and then the built in jukebox. It has the flash based apps (some of them not on tv's like bbc's stuff) and shortly will have webapps, but webapps isn't all that fancy you find the same ones in tvs. Then you get into the built in jukebox which offers a more graphic rich informative look into your videos. And you have the third party stuff you can use which most are alternative jukeboxes.. And last you have the other things you can run on it, but a lot of that is centered around getting videos without using a computer.

You have the tv, storing media is somethign you'll need with any solution so start with what you own. If that works out, your done. Look at what is out there and maybe you'll spot something to add to your must have list.
06-01-2012, 03:09 PM
For me, the only pro's to having a Popcorn Hour over just a PC are the pretty and customizable skins that sort movies and TV shows for easy navigation. That is a HUGE pro that outweighs the cons. The con's are are still no 3D support, I still have to fight with the PC to get that working and no audio pass through channel, supported on HDMI 1.4, another mysterious ommision from the latest Popcorn hour devices. Still, I only watch 3D bluray 2% of the time because I don't bother with the majority of the content since it's not actually shot in 3D so I am ok with going back and forth between PC and Popcorn device. Not using a PC for anything is a godsend with a woman and child in the house so there's that. For whatever reason I end up having to buy a new system board or power supply when someone other than me has to push the power button on the PC to turn it on so that alone is reason enough to have NMT on every TV in the house.

BenQ W1080ST / 125" Screen
Denon AVR-991 HD Audio/Video Receiver
7.1 Audio - Definitive Technology UIW RLS II/POLK Rear Surround/NHT Super Ones Side Surround/Cerwin Vega dual port Center Channel
Custom Build 15" Tempest SonoSub 24" Dia. x 48" Tall 14hz low end (two 17" flared ports)
Mede8er 600X3D
Popcorn Hour C-200
All HDMI 1.4a
Media Server: 20TB with NSF streaming to Mede8er and SMB to Popcorn Hour on Gigabit LAN
06-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Smart TV's are competing with the NMT for sure. The risk is the implementation of DRM rules in Smart TV's that will not allow you to watch copies of movies in HD and with HD multi channel audio.
Content owners will have an easy job in forcing the big companies to implement DRM rules.

PCH-A100/A210/C200/A400 500GB EXT3 HDD<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to the A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.

The inability to setup and configure the NMT should not be disguised as a defect of the box...
06-04-2012, 06:35 AM
TVs have more and more gimmicks inbuilt, playback media, apps / games / internet... one thing ive never see a TV do though is be better at anything besides being a panel than a standalone device - it might however be enough to meet certain peoples needs.

If youre happy with the features on offer then maybe you dont need a PC / tablet / HiFi / / gaming console / phone / ironing board / NMT .. TVs these days can do all these things to an extent, but it won't be enough for everyone.

There will always be demand for devices which are superior in any specific area - the companies who make these devices of course need to make sure their products remain at the top of their game - releasing a firmware update once a year won't have everyone convinced that this is still the case.
06-04-2012, 06:44 AM
Quote:The con's are are still no 3D support

???? the 1/2 resolution 3d files should play just fine, the only thing the pch adds to this is it signals to switch in and out of 3d mode for you.
06-04-2012, 08:34 AM
(06-04-2012 06:35 AM)eightsix Wrote:  There will always be demand for devices which are superior in any specific area - the companies who make these devices of course need to make sure their products remain at the top of their game - releasing a firmware update once a year won't have everyone convinced that this is still the case.

+1

-------------
I'm wishing for a ISO-3D capable NMT...

C-200, A-410
06-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Audio with TV off
NMT with mpd might survive, to listen to internetstreams or HDD audio files, with the smartphone as remote control, to leave the TV switched off.

Configuration 2012 aug 15: PCH-A210 internal samsung HD103SJ 1TB, hdmi:tv philips 32PFL8404H-12, installed: opkg, mpd, busybox, gzip
PC: Vista, CSI, Notepad++, GMPC, remote gui's transmission, usb hdd with media backup
Android smartphone: ConnectBot, BitMPC, Droided Media Tank, DroidMPD

[-]
Quick Reply

Smilies
:) ;) :cool: :D
:P :rolleyes: :shy: :(
:lightbulb: :angry: :-/ (A)
:heart: :dodgy: :blush: :huh:
:my: :sleepy: :exclamation: :S
[get more]