Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Closed 
HOWTO: Play DVDs from a Linux computer over NFS without ripping
08-06-2008, 05:55 PM (This post was last modified: 10-16-2008 08:25 PM by MrKiasu.)
HOWTO: Play DVDs from a Linux computer over NFS without ripping
I've been looking into ways to play a DVD over the network without ripping it first (to get rid of the CSS). After some investigation and some hacking, I now have a working method.

1) This is for a Linux machine. Windows or OSX will require something different.

2) You need kernel 2.6.27 or newer, or the Fuse kernel module from the fuse package. Only these versions of the module support NFS exporting. Also remember to read README.NFS in the tarball.

3) Get my modified copy of dvdreadfs. I had to change it to put the DVD files inside a VIDEO_TS directory, otherwise you can't NFS export in a way that the PCH will recognise properly. Modified dvdreadfs

4) Install the updated fuse kernel module and dvdreadfs, and then mount dvdreadfs.

5) NFS export the dvdreadfs mount point. Remember that you'll need to pass the fsid option in /etc/exports as described in README.NFS

6) Mount the export on the PCH and open the VIDEO_TS directory.

7) Sit back and enjoy your DVD.

I tried doing this originally with dvdfs, but for reasons I don't understand, it doesn't transfer the data fast enough to keep the PCH happy and playback will stutter and cut out. With dvdreadfs, it works perfectly.

dvdreadfs is designed to keep working if you switch DVDs while it is mounted. In my testing, this seems to work.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user says Thank You to MrKiasu for this post
09-11-2008, 11:01 PM
RE: HOWTO: Play DVDs from a Linux computer over NFS without ripping
MrKiasu, thank you very much for these instructions it is exactly what I needed. However, I have a problem with the export of the drive, maybe you or someone else can help me. The dvdreadfs part seems to work. The drive is mounted and the vobs appear decrypted (I can tell because the PCH plays them when I copy them to a directory of my harddrive and export as NFS). I cannot export the drive, though. I have compiled fuse myself with the --enable-kernel-module option and the module in /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/kernel/fs/fuse is the current date, so I assume that it is the module compiled by me. My /etc/exports looks like this:

Code:
/home/mir/nfs    192.168.1.100(ro)
/mnt/dvd    192.168.1.100(ro,fsid=1)

The problem is that "exportfs -ra" gives me the following error message:

"exportfs: Warning: /mnt/dvd does not support NFS export."

Is there anything I am missing? I am using Ubuntu 8.04.

Mirko
09-25-2008, 03:14 AM
(09-11-2008 11:01 PM)m1rk0 Wrote:  The problem is that "exportfs -ra" gives me the following error message:

"exportfs: Warning: /mnt/dvd does not support NFS export."

Is there anything I am missing? I am using Ubuntu 8.04.

Mirko

That definitely sounds like it's not using the right fuse module. Did you put the new fuse.ko in the 'updates' directory under /lib/modules//

You could also delete the old fuse.ko to make sure you pick up the new one. If you do that, it should work fine.
10-12-2008, 03:46 PM
It didn't work, even after I deleted the old module and installed the new one. But I got it to work after I installed the current beta of Ubuntu 8.10 - it comes with kernel 2.6.27 in which the fuse module supports NFS by default.

Thanks again!

Mirko
10-16-2008, 03:20 PM
someone can explain to me why CSS encryption is not supported like any other linux PC ?
sigma processor limitation to decrypt css like PC ?
don't understand because on PC Computer there is no dedicated chips for decoding CSS encryption of DVD Sad
May be only a "special" apps with hack inside ?
libdvdcss for linux exist !!! why not compiled for NMT who run under linux ??? it would be more simple for us !

i don't tell about illegal copy but only to can read our original dvd !!!

But if it is really not possible, is there any dvdshrink "like" apps running on our NMT ?
Wink
10-16-2008, 04:03 PM
There is a version at the Llink site and it works (although lundman says there could be problems with the computing power of NMT). The problem is that if you play a DVD with Llink, there are no menus - you have to choose a VOB directly. On the other hand, the NMT's video player does not let you choose a language through the remote directly, you are supposed to use the respective option in the DVD's menu. As a result, you can only watch movies in the default language Undecided.

Mirko
10-20-2008, 07:35 AM
(10-16-2008 04:03 PM)m1rk0 Wrote:  There is a version at the Llink site and it works (although lundman says there could be problems with the computing power of NMT). The problem is that if you play a DVD with Llink, there are no menus - you have to choose a VOB directly. On the other hand, the NMT's video player does not let you choose a language through the remote directly, you are supposed to use the respective option in the DVD's menu. As a result, you can only watch movies in the default language Undecided.

Mirko

Thanks for your tips...
But i'm always think it's stupid to not integrate playing original DVD with NMT Firmware.....is there money problem yet ? license ?
11-07-2008, 08:45 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2008 10:16 PM by PrinceCharm.)
Ive done the following, but I'm having problems with the nfs export. When i do exportfs -ra the following happens:

exportfs: /etc/ [1]: Neither 'subtree_check' or 'no_subtree_check' spcified for export "192.168.1.0/24:/media/dvd".
Assuming default behavior ('no_subtree_check').
NOTE: this default has changed since nfs-utils version 1.0.x

So I was wondering if anyone knew what was wrong or why can't I just smb share the folder? I've tried but I don't seem to be able to change the owner of the fused folder to something else than root.

(08-06-2008 05:55 PM)MrKiasu Wrote:  I've been looking into ways to play a DVD over the network without ripping it first (to get rid of the CSS). After some investigation and some hacking, I now have a working method.

1) This is for a Linux machine. Windows or OSX will require something different.

2) You need kernel 2.6.27 or newer, or the Fuse kernel module from the fuse package. Only these versions of the module support NFS exporting. Also remember to read README.NFS in the tarball.

3) Get my modified copy of dvdreadfs. I had to change it to put the DVD files inside a VIDEO_TS directory, otherwise you can't NFS export in a way that the PCH will recognise properly. Modified dvdreadfs

4) Install the updated fuse kernel module and dvdreadfs, and then mount dvdreadfs.

5) NFS export the dvdreadfs mount point. Remember that you'll need to pass the fsid option in /etc/exports as described in README.NFS

6) Mount the export on the PCH and open the VIDEO_TS directory.

7) Sit back and enjoy your DVD.

I tried doing this originally with dvdfs, but for reasons I don't understand, it doesn't transfer the data fast enough to keep the PCH happy and playback will stutter and cut out. With dvdreadfs, it works perfectly.

dvdreadfs is designed to keep working if you switch DVDs while it is mounted. In my testing, this seems to work.
11-14-2008, 03:27 AM
(11-07-2008 08:45 PM)PrinceCharm Wrote:  Ive done the following, but I'm having problems with the nfs export. When i do exportfs -ra the following happens:

exportfs: /etc/ [1]: Neither 'subtree_check' or 'no_subtree_check' spcified for export "192.168.1.0/24:/media/dvd".
Assuming default behavior ('no_subtree_check').
NOTE: this default has changed since nfs-utils version 1.0.x

So I was wondering if anyone knew what was wrong or why can't I just smb share the folder? I've tried but I don't seem to be able to change the owner of the fused folder to something else than root.

That warning is harmless.

You can't change the owner easily but you can pass 'allow_other' as a mount option so anyone can read the partition.

I don't know if there's any problem doing smb export but nfs was easier for me so I never investigated smb.

--phil
02-07-2009, 03:47 PM
WoW!!! Thank you MrKiasu!

I've spent whole last night to get this working with plain dvdfs but using your binary and instructions I set smb sharing of the mount point up in just a few minutes. With dvdfs option I had problems with ejecting the dvd. With your binary and intructions all is working perfectly.
I had no problems with smb sharing (ubuntu 8.10)

PCH-A100 (beta fw) + PCH-C200
Streaming from ReadyNas (llink and nfs)
Sony 40-x3500 TV
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Easily play internet streams / radio stations using MPD RemBrand 4 15,933 07-06-2013 11:10 AM
Last Post: kaiyara
  [HOWTO] Ralink RT2870 wifi chipset artbern 8 14,529 02-04-2012 09:13 PM
Last Post: anilech
  HOWTO: Windows 7 ext2/3 support - update? Minok 6 12,143 12-25-2011 09:37 PM
Last Post: newmediawhisperer
  DVD Ripping & ISO Guide chris57 198 156,755 03-21-2011 08:57 AM
Last Post: chris57
  HOWTO: Mount NMT share on Windows Mobile mkkm 0 3,320 12-25-2010 02:53 PM
Last Post: mkkm
  Howto: Updated - Get mythtv playback nice and pretty WORKING! tivo1 1 3,650 08-29-2010 08:40 AM
Last Post: tivo1
  HOWTO: Windows 7 ext2/3 support [USB-Slave] DeliriumNL 35 209,410 02-21-2010 12:57 AM
Last Post: maxyvan98
  [myiHome] linux package and daemon script Shaika-Dzari 8 7,135 01-12-2010 03:46 AM
Last Post: JonnyRocket
  Guide: Sharing files with Samba (Linux) dacken 1 4,717 12-28-2009 01:43 PM
Last Post: dacken
  HOWTO: installing telnetd &apps from USB via PC w/o internal disk java.lang 14 14,952 12-27-2009 06:39 PM
Last Post: rastin