Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
no sound with hdmi audio please help
10-01-2008, 03:15 AM
no sound with hdmi audio please help
I need help. I just got the nmt today. my hdtv only has component video which I hooked directly to the nmt. I then connected an hdmi cable to my onkyo 705 because I want to get hd audio. problem is I get no sound at all. I have changed every setting back and forth. I have tried multiple files to test with and still no sound. when I hook my ps3 up with the same cable and input I get hdmi sound with component video but not with popcorn hr. I then tested it by plugging an optical cable into the nmt and I get full 5.1 sound. so what am I doing wrong. the reason I bought the popcorn hour is for hdmi audio. how do I get the hdmi audio to work with component video. is it a firmware bug.
Help please
Find all posts by this user
10-01-2008, 04:07 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2008 04:09 AM by jchappo.)
RE: no sound with hdmi audio please help
since you have a decent receiver, you should plug HDMI into it, and run component out to your TV from the receiver, that should solve all your problems.

i have the yamaha rx-v663 and it has hdmi out and component out, so i assume you have the same, otherwise time to get a real (yamaha) receiver.
10-01-2008, 04:33 AM
I tried it didn't work.
10-01-2008, 04:37 AM
I *think* (read: not for certain) to use HDMI audio you have to have the latest stable firmware.

Also, what are your audio settings on the PCH?
10-01-2008, 04:41 AM
Im using the latest firmware. and my audio settings are hdmi audio on. 5.1 and the rest raw. on my receiver for hdmi it says no signal. I have also tried changing settings on the receiver, but it didn't help.
10-01-2008, 04:55 AM
(10-01-2008 04:41 AM)mcnulty7 Wrote:  Im using the latest firmware. and my audio settings are hdmi audio on. 5.1 and the rest raw. on my receiver for hdmi it says no signal. I have also tried changing settings on the receiver, but it didn't help.

I remember I had to change a few of those away from "RAW" to get them to play over my optical audio. I can't remember the exact setting b/c I don't have working PCH box right now.

If I remember correctly, the DTS stuff worked fine with RAW but everything else needed to be set for PCM something or another.

Someone with the proper knowledge want to chime in?
10-01-2008, 06:46 AM
ok no matter what I try my receiver always says no signal. Im gonna bring the popcorn hour to my friends house tomorrow and hook it up to his hdtv and make sure the hdmi port is working correctly. does anyone on this forum have there nmt hooked up to a component input only hdtv and an hdmi receiver to get the higher audio tracks?
10-01-2008, 09:33 AM
What kind of audio format is used in your file. Is it DTS? If yes then you cannot output it by HDMI in current firmware. Also use AAC and AC3 to analog and other PCM or digital .

------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Image: 20415010529.jpg]

PCH A-110, SHARP AQUOS LC-37GX2W
PCH A-110, EPSON DREAMIO TW600
10-01-2008, 10:41 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2008 10:50 AM by spawn.)
(10-01-2008 06:46 AM)mcnulty7 Wrote:  ok no matter what I try my receiver always says no signal. Im gonna bring the popcorn hour to my friends house tomorrow and hook it up to his hdtv and make sure the hdmi port is working correctly. does anyone on this forum have there nmt hooked up to a component input only hdtv and an hdmi receiver to get the higher audio tracks?

you are connecting things wrong

You cannot use analog component for video from PCH to a component only screen and at the same time HDMI for audio only to a HDMI receiver. You cannot send audio only through HDMI and your receiver will not understand to receive any signal if there are no Video in it.

When you select component the HDMI output gets disabled - both for video and audio.

To use HD audio - you HAVE to send both Video and Audio through HDMI to a HDMI receiver and from there pass through video to a compatible screen. If your receiver can output component video from an incoming HDMI video input then that could be a possibility, but I dont know of any receiver which can do this (HDCP).

If you connect player to a tv using component, you can only send audio through its SPDIF or analog outputs - not HDMI

Living room: C200/A200/A100 HDMI to Pioneer KURO KRP-500A plasma / Denon AVR 3808 / KEF 5005.2 / B&W DM685
Kids room: C200/A110 HDMI to Panasonic 42PZ85, Optical to Logitech Z5500.

PLEASE READ THE WIKI
10-01-2008, 06:11 PM
i have a similar issues due to my sony STR-K900. its just a pass through receiver with HDMI audio, therefore HDMI for me is strictly video, i need to know how to use HDMI video, and have the sound come through the optical cable if possible?

i have looked through settings but cannot find any options to do this, please help, other wise the only way it works is if the audio plays throgh my tv, which is only stereo and not 5.1 like i want.
10-01-2008, 08:40 PM
(10-01-2008 10:41 AM)spawn Wrote:  
(10-01-2008 06:46 AM)mcnulty7 Wrote:  ok no matter what I try my receiver always says no signal. Im gonna bring the popcorn hour to my friends house tomorrow and hook it up to his hdtv and make sure the hdmi port is working correctly. does anyone on this forum have there nmt hooked up to a component input only hdtv and an hdmi receiver to get the higher audio tracks?

You cannot use analog component for video from PCH to a component only screen and at the same time HDMI for audio only to a HDMI receiver. You cannot send audio only through HDMI and your receiver will not understand to receive any signal if there are no Video in it.

When you select component the HDMI output gets disabled - both for video and audio.

To use HD audio - you HAVE to send both Video and Audio through HDMI to a HDMI receiver and from there pass through video to a compatible screen. If your receiver can output component video from an incoming HDMI video input then that could be a possibility, but I dont know of any receiver which can do this (HDCP).

If you connect player to a tv using component, you can only send audio through its SPDIF or analog outputs - not HDMI

ok thanks for the response. I was wondering since the ps3 can pass hdmi audio and analog component video at the same time, is it possible with a future firmware update the pch will be able to do this by not disabling the hdmi output when component is selected?
10-01-2008, 09:17 PM
(10-01-2008 08:40 PM)mcnulty7 Wrote:  
(10-01-2008 10:41 AM)spawn Wrote:  

ok thanks for the response. I was wondering since the ps3 can pass hdmi audio and analog component video at the same time, is it possible with a future firmware update the pch will be able to do this by not disabling the hdmi output when component is selected?

it has been stated in another thread that this will not happen because they ran into memory leaks when they tried to do this.
10-02-2008, 02:16 PM
you can get a digital optical audio cable to go from the PCH to the amp and get HD sound ...
10-02-2008, 06:48 PM
same problem with Denon receiver. I'm going to connect my DVD player with the same HDMI cable to the same connector on receiver. After that will figure out what wrong with PCH.Undecided
10-03-2008, 04:50 PM
(10-02-2008 06:48 PM)Paul2ra Wrote:  same problem with Denon receiver. I'm going to connect my DVD player with the same HDMI cable to the same connector on receiver. After that will figure out what wrong with PCH.Undecided
cant get sound through hdmi lead to tv. I have set all settings to pcm and hdmi audio is enabled set to stereo. Please helpSad

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  audio crashing jensv 18 8,156 09-26-2009 09:33 AM
Last Post: jensv
  No HDMI out with Popcorn Hour A-110 teevee 18 24,136 09-03-2009 03:33 PM
Last Post: Yogesh
  HDMI Signal Sync Issues After Soft Power On camira 1 1,726 07-23-2009 11:14 AM
Last Post: boneymaloney
  No Audio when using HDMI knuppa 4 3,426 07-21-2009 09:19 PM
Last Post: Mosk
  DTS to AC3 via HDMI sahilsehgal 5 2,799 07-17-2009 07:00 AM
Last Post: sahilsehgal
  HDMI output with component setting vifa84 0 1,348 07-14-2009 02:21 AM
Last Post: vifa84
  MKV file no audio gsalamon 5 3,638 07-11-2009 08:38 PM
Last Post: Specter
  DTS .mkv file no audio toastie 7 3,873 07-10-2009 06:49 PM
Last Post: chris57
  Audio problems? Video works fine but no sound ShadowTalon 1 2,182 07-09-2009 08:38 AM
Last Post: cheaper_popcorn
  A-110 Loosing audio and video juddery Lakes_Puma 6 2,664 07-06-2009 08:16 PM
Last Post: Lakes_Puma